Reading the newspaper is a daily habit of millions of people. As one breezes through the events occurring in the world, 1 almost always catches a glimpse of a comic tucked away in a corner of the paper. Even if 1 isnt a regular reader of comic strips, 1 does read through it sometimes just to see if it makes him/her laugh.
In a paper which details most of the serious events of the world, its refreshing to catch something utterly dedicated to good old humour. This explains the popularity of comic strips & is a trend which has been thankfully supported by most of the papers around the globe.
I started reading newspapers only for the comics (back when I was 10 yrs old) so 1 could say comics were responsible for getting me into the good habit of reading newspapers . I still read them (with igoogle allowing me to have a sole page dedicated to daily comics ) & hope I wont ever stop doing so!
A list of my 10 Fav Comic Strips : (Arranged Alphabetically)
- Set in prehistoric times, it features a group of cavemen and anthropomorphic(attribution of human characteristics to non-human creatures) animals from various geologic eras.
- It is among the longest-running strips by its original creator (the late Johnny Hart).
- The best quality about it is the placement of humour even in small events of life. Things wont remain small & ordinary if you view it through B.C’s point of view .
- Set in a United States Army military post.
- It is among the oldest comic strips still being produced by the original creator.
- The humour usually revolves the resiliently relaxed Pvt Beetle Bailey & work driven Sgt Snorkel. Sarge’s attempts to make Beetle work & Beetle’s witty ways to escape from him are hillarious.
- Set in a small town in Middle America.
- In this comic, children often have adult personalities and vocabularies and where animals can talk. Most of the humour involved has political overtones.
- My fav storyline is Michael Binkley’s Closet of Anxieties which plague him at night in his dreams. His list of anxieties are funny as also are his ways to deal with it.
- Set in an unspecified suburban community, It follows the humorous antics of Calvin, an imaginative six-year old boy, and Hobbes, his energetic and sardonic stuffed toy tiger.
- Its my fav comic since it contains some really unpredictable humour & the comic has some fantastic imaginative storylines.
- 1 connects with Calvin instantly…he is a kid who has an imaginary friend (his toy tiger) & 1 feels sorry for him…but at the same time 1 wishes to immerse oneself fully into Calvin’s world.
- Unfortunately the author Bill Watterson stopped writing after 1995 & all attempts to make him return have failed .
- Set in a white-collar, micromanaged office featuring the engineer Dilbert as the title character.
- It features the eternal workplace battle between the management & the employees. Perhaps thats why it has so many followers around the globe.
- I got 3 fav characters here : Dilbert (his subtle anti management lines), Wally (he is so good @ finding ways to avoid work ) & Asok(poor guy who is always easy prey for others!)
- Set in a bachelor’s home, its the story of Garfield the cat & his Owner Jon Arbuckle .
- The story stays away from social & political statements & typically involves Garfield’s laziness, lousy eating habits & satirical retorts on TV shows.
- My fav part usually involves the interaction between Garfield & the spiders as also when Garfield views the TV…too good!
- The strip is a caricature of and loose interpretation of Viking and medieval Scandinavian life.
- The story usually involves the day to day life of Hagar the viking & his interactions with his family & others while he is at home or with his buddies @ the local bar or while he is away looting some castle.
- My fav part usually involves Hagar giving a demonstartion on his bravery for most panels but in the last panel he is brought down by either his wife’s taunts or by some funny circumstance
- The comic involves the daily life of a 6 year old girl Ruthie & her family.
- The story usually involves Ruthie’s flamboyance while she gives her opinion on stuff while the rest of the family are left surprised at her interpretation of things.
- My fav part is usually the interactions between Ruthie & her grandfather(who has a great sense of humour I must say! ) as also Ruthie’s funny interactions with the Homework Lady(on the phone).
- The comic is about a 8 yr old meek & nervous kid Charlie Brown & his friends. It involves only young kids !
- The characters of Peanuts though very young, made smart observations about many facets about life with simplicity,force & innocence. Thus age isnt a restriction for intelligence in this comic!
- Peanuts is often regarded as one of the most influential and well-written comic strips of all time.
- My fav part usually involves the ones involving Linus. His cute liking for his security blanket, his belief in the Great Pumkin(not Santa!) & his positive outlook towards life is endearing.
- Its the only comic I feel which can make you laugh & cry at the same time.
- The comic is about a neighbourhood consisting of Anthropomorphic animals & their daily interactions with each other.
- The comics has established a fantastic set of characters who one never tires of…. like Pig(eternally dumb but innocent), Rat (a megalomaniac),The Crocs(dumb but got the wicked desire to eat their ‘Zeeba’ neighboor), Duck(who always desires to bring about a good change via force) & the Dog(who has an eternal desire to adventure but cant since he is tied)
- My fav part usually involves the ones involving the Crocs. Also the ones involving Rat fooling the Pig are hilarious as well as those involving the guard dog.
- The best thing about the comic is the list of interesting new characters whick keep getting added (like the 2 marshmellows or the depressed cactus)
- The strip follows the antics of a large cast of characters in a shabby medieval kingdom called Id.
- The jokes center on the idea that people are stuck with the King as their ruler, and that his administration’s incompetence has led to a kingdom that is, amusingly, poorly kept.
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting